About The Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama is a deluxe retreat positioned high on a cliff top, commanding spectacular views of the Atlantic ocean and La Gomera Island. The delightful staff treat each client as an individual by tailoring their services to your needs and truly setting a stage on which you and your family are the star. There is a golden sandy beach around the cove and a new train to help guests get the most from the resort.
The lively Ritz Kids club has an ever-changing schedule of inventive activities, with games designed both for outdoors and in the shade. Paint the stones gathered from the beach, dress up for a pirates party or jump in the kids pool for aquatic games. There is also a teenagers’ programme for 12-18 year olds in the school holidays. Our exclusive Nanny Too option allows you to book your own personal nanny for as few or as many hours as you wish. We guarantee the same nanny throughout your stay who can look after up to three children maximum. Our local childcare providers all speak good English and have undergone the necessary checks to ensure they are qualified.
Guests are spoilt for choice with ten restaurants ranging from rustic Argentinian to Japanese sushi. You can chose to really push the boat out at the world renowned M.B. (2 Michelin stars) and Kabuki (1 Michelin star) restaurants which offer truly spectacular dining experiences. Kabuki is said to be one of the finest Japanese restaurants in the world while MB is headed up by the famous Basque chef and holder of 7Michelin stars Martin Berasategui. Alternatively you can enjoy a more casual meal at a poolside restaurant or beach side eateries. There are three main bars including a sports bar and jazz club. It’s a whole luxurious world in itself.
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama has a range of accommodation to suit your needs. Deluxe rooms are 50 sq m and have a king-size bed or twin beds (on request at the time of booking), a stylish bathroom with separate baths and showers and have either a balcony or terrace. One or two bedroom suites are also available with a separate lounge and resort or sea views. Connecting deluxe rooms are available and can be confirmed at the time of booking and are located in the main Citadel building. Guests receive a range of luxury features with their rooms such as satellite TV, telephones, minibar, pillow menu, hairdryers,iron and ironing board, Nespresso Coffee machine, Asprey bathroom amenities and bathrobes. We can advise you on the best option for your family.
The 2,500 sq ft Ritz-Carlton Spa was built in 2005 to the theme of “out of Africa” and is determined to stimulate each of your senses. You can breathe in pine fragrances and relax in the African Garden Sauna which is made from all natural materials, and then cool down in the exclusive snow cabin, one of the first in the world. There are special treatments for pregnancy. Various classes are available including fitness, yoga, Pilates, spinning, aerobics and water aerobics, Zumba and hula hoop to name just a few.
For the active, there’s a 18 hole golf course, fully facilitated 24 hour gym, tennis club and academy. There are seven heated pools (including one family/ kids pool) and one adults only infinity pool. Experiences at the resort include a weekly botanical tour, complimentary wine tasting, cooking demonstrations and workshops and a Canarian Marketplace every Saturday.
Your Tots Too experts for Abama are Atarra, Deborah and Emma
Cots available on request
Babysitting can be arranged via local specialist companies, starting from €18 per hour, plus extra after 10pm, minimum booking of 2 hours. Club Abami opens daily from 10am to midnight for children between the ages of 4 – 12 years inclusive. Under-four kids can enjoy any area of the Abami Club as long as accompanied by an adult. It is complimentary for guests staying at Abama Golf & Spa Resort
Ask us for our exclusive Nanny Too packages to provide a local nanny to care for young children. Under 4s can use the kids club facilities if accompanied by a parent or babysitter
Kids club for ages 4-12. €8 per child per hour for children staying in Club Abami from 18.00 until midnight. Pre-booking prior to arrival is recommended.
20 minutes from the airport
Medical help nearby
Full nanny service to assist you with bottle sterilising
Infant car seats available for transfers
Golf & tennis academies and night-time entertainment in season. Teens programmes in the school holidays (12-18s)
21 April 2015
"We had a fantastic time at Abama. The hotel is amazing and perfect for children. The kids loved the pool and as the edge of the pool slopes down they were able to go in without us as long as we were watching. The beach was simply fantastic. Such a beautiful spot – my children absolutely loved it and had hours and hours of fun making sand castles and splashing in the water. The Kids Club looked good too, although we didn’t really use it as my youngest is under 4 and my oldest didn’t want to go on her own.
The quality of food at the restaurants was generally very good, and while it was expensive I didn’t think it was excessive for a five star hotel. I normally hate buffets but we went to the dinner buffet a couple of times and were impressed. We also went to nearby San Juan for a couple of meals, which was much cheaper and nice to get out of the resort for a bit. However, by far our best meal was at MB. I can honestly say it was the best meal of my life. Yes it’s expensive but worth every penny. We also went to Kabuki which was lovely too, although not as special as MB.
Our room was brilliant. We had a suite with an adjoining room and it was huge! The terrace was also very big, which meant that we could sit outside with a glass of wine after the kids had gone to bed. The furnishings were all very nice and it was spotlessly clean. My kids and the turn down lady developed a bit of a thing for each other and she kept plying them with the free chocolates (which is possibly why they liked her so much)!
In terms of things they could do better, we did have a couple of niggles. The first is the sunbed situation at the main pool (which is really the only pool you can go to with young kids). They allow people to put things on sunbeds very early in the morning and then leave. Sometimes people leave for hours without using their sunbeds, but they are still allowed to keep them for the whole day. Some days we couldn’t find anywhere to sit even though at least half the beds had no one using them. I think this is very silly. One day our friends went down at 7.30am to get sunbeds and still couldn’t get one near the pool. The other issue is the breakfast buffet, which is frankly chaotic and badly run (although food choice and quality is very good). We had to queue every morning to get in but there were plenty of empty (uncleared) tables available. They also ran out of cereal bowls every single day, which seems crazy. The other thing I thought was odd was that they had no children’s cutlery and plates at the main buffet, although they did have them in every other restaurant. Cue a lot of broken plates and glasses!
We had a limo pick us up from the airport, which my husband and I thought was hilarious but the children thought was amazing!
Overall a great holiday and we would definitely go back. Thanks for recommending it!"
- CC 15 March 2015 "We had an absolutely wonderful time at the Ritz Abama. 5 out of 5 for sure. The staff were so incredibly welcoming and accommodating. At the check in two over-tired 2.5 year-old twins were completely captivated by Cristina who led them behind the desk to give them each a cuddly Ritz lion and really engaged them in the check-in process (not an easy feat). Breakfast every morning was a real treat as all the hostesses and wait staff made a big fuss over them and we never felt self conscious for having two young children. The kids menu was adequate for lunch and dinner and the breakfast buffet in the mornings was the best I’ve ever had at a hotel. The nanny we were assigned was great. She knew the hotel and bonded quickly with the kids. The pool was fab and the beach was perfect. And there are not enough words for the train and cable car - we could have ridden those all day long and entertained two young children. We will definitely be going back next year…maybe even later this year if we can afford it!"
13 March 2015
"Just wanted to thank you so much for organising our holiday to Tenerife….we had the most fantastic time….everything worked perfectly.
In an age when a lot of people do their own holiday booking online, it was so brilliant to go old school and go through you as we felt completely at ease about every stage…….and our little girl just adored every moment from the train to the beach to the slide in kids room - via an awful lot action in the pool.
So thank you thank you…..it was completely brilliant"
- PH 26 February 2015 "The place was fantastic, great service etc. Your description was perfect and the villas were quiet and relaxed."
19 November 2014
"Yes we had a terrific time thank you. 5/5 score. I have to say the holiday was pretty faultless. Flights, transfer, check in, rooms, friendliness and service from staff were all spot on. Everything we had requested for the room was all in place (bed guards, kettle etc) and we had a terrific view of the pool and sea beyond. The nanny service and kids club were fabulous, and the spa and treatments were top quality too. I notice people have complained previously on trip advisor about the prices of certain items, like 275ml of soft drink for E5, but I think this is definitely offset by free water either via housekeeping or water coolers at the pool and beach. Some of the restaurants have a slight 'food court' feel about them (Pampa, Verona etc) but the quality is still very good to excellent. We also ate at the 1 and 2 Michelin starred restaurants, Kabuki and M.B, and these were outstanding. We definitely hope to return to the Abama again.
We met friends at the Abama and recommended Tots Too as an agency, your service has been outstanding throughout and we will definitely use you again."
03 November 2014
"Thank you, we had a wonderful holiday (5/5).
The hotel had improved we felt with The new management and additions such as a train to the beach were welcome. The resort was fully booked Over the half term period.It was a bit hectic and some complained about the business at breakfast etc.but on the whole staff managed it well.
You definately added value with the recommendation to book restaurant in advance as this was needed. The kabuki and MB were outstanding and you couldn't get in without pre-booking in this period. The babysitter you organised was lovely and we were very happy with her.
My husbands only gripe was having to log on hourly for the free internet is annoying and not equivalent to other establishments. A small point.
An excellent family hotel. We would go back and book with you!"
- WW 13 August 2014 "The holiday was excellent as the Abama is a great hotel. I would give it a score 5 assuming 5 is the best rating."
- AC 30 April 2014 "We spent 7 days at the Abama. The experience was lovely and really relaxing. This is a very good quality resort with beautiful surroundings, a kids' club and a great choice of restaurants and bars. The kids divided their time between the kids club (very keen to go everyday), the pool and the beach. You don't need to leave the resort (unless you really want to). We will definitely go back."
09 April 2014
"Thank you, we had a lovely time at the Abama in Tenerife. Overall we felt that the resort was lovely and the staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do more for you. I would happily give them a 5.
Also, I was more than happy with the service I received from yourself and we would both recommend you in the future and use you ourselves for another holiday. We are considering going away in June and like the look of the Martinhal resort in Portugal. Therefore, when I have some dates I will drop you an email to see what availability and price you have."
03 March 2014
All well thanks. Just returned from a week staying at the Abama in one of the Villa suites with our daughter. Overall review is great with a few glitches but not many so we will probably be returning in a year’s time.
The good points:
1. Family orientated (we have a 20month old daughter) with great pools, restaurants and children’s play centre
2. Our nanny (Oana) arranged through Tots Too was superb and our daughter still misses her
3. Food on the whole good (Mirador average, Kabuki good and MB superb but pricey).
4. Our suite worked well and had a small garden leading out to one of the family pools
5. The beach and beach restaurant were excellent and seemed to be deserted which was surprising
6. Get a golf buggy as walking in this place will kill you
7. Staff were very friendly and keen to please
The bad bits
1. This place is crying out for some senior management and staff training. Little signs of any joined up thinking and staff run round like headless chickens – check in took 30 minutes. It took 5 calls to reception to have a high chair delivered to the room.....
2. Hotel starting to need an update – especially given the prices charged
3. Buffet breakfast is my idea of hell
All in all a great holiday and we will be back.
03 March 2014
We had a lovely holiday! The Abama is a fabulous place for kids. Here is my positive and little bit of negative feedback.
Villa was amazing. Spacious, clean, glamorous and practical. Pools are brilliant for kids. All pool staff very helpful, always on hand with water or offering to get toys for the kids. Beach was clean and great to be private. Golf buggies fun! Love touches like the fish in the water. E loved them! Food was mostly good, Japanese and MB incredible, the Italian and tapas very good too.
The service in the restaurants was often slow even though the hotel was quiet. Food is also incredibly expensive. The only thing we were annoyed about was fact that kids under 2 get free food. It was only a lovely waitress on day 5 of holiday who told us this. We found the staff mostly nice people but I don't think they are managed properly as they often don't have the right information. There was a big Indian wedding at the weekend and no one seemed to know what restaurants were shut in which areas which is frustrating when you need to feed kids. Only other thing is there are no signs or very few in lifts or on site so easy to get lost on the maze! Only little things but may help to have a better map of the hotel.
E loved the kids club! If you are interested, we find our English nanny amazing. There is a company called teneriffechildcare.com which are English qualified nannies in the country. They work at the Abama a lot. Our girl was called Jill, 35, mum of two. E adored her which made me very relaxed! I have their details if you are interested.
Finally we met a gorgeous family who we are now friends with and plan to see soon. They booked through you! CM and his partner and daughter A who is E's age and they played all the time.
Also I should have taken your advice.. Never do an evening flight with a toddler! Nightmare!
Anyway thank you for your brilliant service. We will definately use you guys again and I'm sure go to the Abama again.
17 August 2013
"Abama was great, they get a gold star from us because of all their help with our daughter's rather complicated and restricted dietary needs. They made every mealtime stress free, they bent over backwards to make sure we always had everything we needed and that our daughter had plenty to eat.
It's a lovely resort and we enjoyed every minute we were there. The staff were truly amazing.
Will definitely pass on your details to friends and colleagues."
12 August 2013
"I have been meaning to email you since we got back from Tenerife, but the holidays have taken over and I haven't had time.
I just wanted to say thank you for taking away all the organising of the holiday. The appraisal of the hotel was very accurate and we were able to enjoy our holiday straight away. The Abama was a lovely hotel and we didn't leave it for the whole week. We would consider going again, but would love to try another of the hotels you have on offer if they are all as good as this one."
Many thanks again to you and the team"
12 August 2013
"I am emailing you to thank you for your recommendation of the Abama in Tenerife and for your assistance and advice generally.
We were very impressed with the resort and all had a great holiday. Booking restaurants in advance was a good tip and the children liked the babysitter who was very friendly and spoke excellent English.
We are already talking about going again next year and will be sure to book through you if we do."
16 June 2013
"I have to say we had a fantastic holiday and the Abama really impressed us. Great recommendation Anne-Marie and thank you for your help.
In particular I think they struck the balance really well between luxury and family friendly - often there is a compromise. We could tell this when we walked into the hotel bar during check in (with our glass of champagne!!) and there was a classy jazz band playing but with kids dancing as well. Made to feel really relaxed as a result.
Club Abami worked really well with its drop in- drop out policy. L just loved it (he's 3 and a half) and it helped break up his day when he got bored of spending time with his parents and gave us time for real relax time! Staff there were excellent and he made friends there really easily.
The apartment room was great, massive balcony, and having the seperate living room where L slept worked well for us.
Obviously not a cheap holiday but for what was offerered, it was still worthwhile - good value for the quality offered to my mind.
Only irritations where charges for things like coke (€5 for a 275ml bottle which was unnecesasrily excessive pricing)
Overall thank for your help Ann-Marie. Well organised and would definitely consider coming back and would recommend to friends."
16 May 2013
"We had a great holiday thanks...Abama is a superb resort and even though this was our first overseas trip dictated by school holidays the hotel never felt overly busy.
They had made a number of tweaks/improvements since our last visit such as
- old adult only pool next to main pool is now open to children too....adult pool has moved down to the cliff top near Mirador restaurant which makes sense;
- addition of some kids tables in the shade around the pools and in the pool side restaurant for a colouring "time-out"...simple but effective.
- split the old Pampa Verona restaurant into 2 separate ones...Italian and Argentina steak which added to the choice. Thought food was generally better than previous visit.
- huge revamp of the kids club which was amazing
I had also forgotten just how great the rooms are and the staff too.
It is great to see a hotel which is consistently looking for ways to improve things etc etc. All in all hard to fault the place.
Am on the hunt for something different for next year for a change.......if we could find something of the quality of Abama but with a bit more to do in the area it would be our ideal! "
29 April 2013
"Thank you, we had a very nice time at the Abama. The weather wasn't quite as good as we'd hoped, but it was still a million miles better than the UK and we had plenty of time on the beach or by the pool.
The property was interesting and grew on me as the week went on and we explored it a bit more. Our rooms were very nice and well maintained. We were on the 10th floor and had a lovely view of the sunsets over the sea in the evening from the balcony. I had a small issue with our bed as the mattress was a bit worn and compressed such that it sloped on my side. I didn't say anything and it wasn't a major issue, though in retrospect perhaps I should have done.
The staff were generally very helpful and friendly - especially at reception and the lifeguards at the pool/beach. My son lost his favourite lego toy early on in the holiday and after asking asking several times if it had been handed in, we returned one evening to our room to find one of the ladies at reception (Aida) had bought him some lego, wrapped it, and left it with a card and balloons on his bed. He was thrilled of course and I thought this was an amazing personal touch!
The beach was very nice and worked well and felt private even though it is open to the public. The breakwaters meant it was nice and calm which helps give some peace of mind when your kids are splashing in the shallows. It's always nice to have so many similar families there, the kids made lots of friends.
The pool was very nice and I liked the way the bridges/multiple seating areas made it feel larger and more private. It got quite busy but the lifeguards were always good at finding you a spot. The water was a bit chilly - would be good to have heating earlier in the year but we still swam regularly.
We tried the tennis courts, which were numerous and seemed in very good condition, though unfortunately the kids got bored very quickly and disrupted us... I didn't try the golf course - but it looked good. We used the complimentary visits to the spa, as well as had massages, and that was lovely.
Apart from fittting into the restaurants (thank god we took your advice and booked early), it didn't really seem that busy, despite being full. The Mirador restaurant was lovely, we also enjoyed the Pampa Verona. The restaurant on the beach struggled to cope with the number of people a bit. We tried room service once and had a lovely meal on the balcony. Breakfast in La Veranda was very good, though we weren't happy with our meal there the first night, so cancelled our second reservation. The food itself was fine but it was far too expensive when eating with small children - EUR20 each for them to have a couple of mouthfuls, and then EUR40 for adults who don't have enough time to eat properly. Add in your EUR4-5 cokes/apple juices and we'd spent EUR160 in half an hour...That would be my only criticism really - the food and drink in the restaurants is too expensive and they seemed to steer you towards more expensive children's buffets. We had to specifically ask if there were children's menus (which of course there were, were cheaper and one kid's meal was enough for our two to share)every time we went to a restaurant.
We didn't try the kids club as it didn't cater for our 3yr old. I think the resort would greatly benefit from building a playground for the kids. We've been to Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus and Pine Cliffs in Portugal and both of those had great playgrounds.
But all in we had a great break, it was a nice resort - I prefer Pine Cliffs but thought this was better than Aphrodite Hills. I thought the Tots Too service was excellent and we mentioned you to some families we met out there. We'd definitely use you again. Indeed we're still thinking about options for August and you gave me some suggestions a few weeks back. We're considering the Martinhal in Portugal and I'd be interested to hear if you generally get good feedback. We'd love to do Pine Cliffs again but feels a bit too expensive in August.
Sorry, that ended up being a bit of a novel! Hope it's helpful."
27 April 2013
"We had a great week at the Abama - very relaxed and the weather was fabulous (especially compared to the UK!).
We thought the hotel was well set up for families - Great to be able to walk to the beach and the main pool was very good. A decent kids menu and lots of highchairs at the restaurants. Our toddler loved riding on the golf buggies up and down the hill from the beach to hotel reception! Some nice touches like a big jar of lollipops in reception, buckets/spades etc at the beach and pool. A good choice of restaurants within the hotel (although we only actually ate at 3 of them) and lovely breakfast with loads of choice.
The room set-up you booked for us was perfect (double suite with interconnecting double room). We had more space than we were expecting! The large balcony meant we could sit in the sun over lunch while the children slept, and we had room-service dinner most evenings as we had table/chairs/sofa to relax. We would have really appreciated a few more bits in our room to help us eat/drink there - e.g. we had to request glasses and tea cups on a daily basis, we were charged for a small jug of milk to make tea etc. (And we'd have loved a kiosk or little shop where we could have bought snacks like a packet of biscuits or bag of nuts, especially as the minibar bits seemed really overpriced at 9 Euros for a tiny pot of goodies).
The service was always friendly but inconsistent - for example, at breakfast and by the pool the staff always seemed too stretched and so were rushed and forgetful, and we often found we were waiting a while to try and grab someone's attention. But in general all the staff we met were wonderful with kids and full of smiles.
The hotel is much bigger than the sort of place we'd normally stay, and personally we do prefer staying somewhere a little smaller and more personal. The signage within the (huge) hotel building was dreadful - the layout (on a hillside?) means there are lots of lifts and stairs and long corridors, and we found it wasn't very easy to navigate!
We booked a babysitter twice for evening sitting (the children were already asleep), who was great. The Abama don't have babysitters - they just provide a phone number for you to call a local company and book yourself. We did drop into Club Abami, but as it's not for under 3s there is not much there to amuse small children and we only stayed about 15 mins. It looked like it would be really good for older kids and there is a nice fenced-in grass pitch for kicking a ball around. We would have loved something like a playground area (swings etc) or some toys which our children could have used with our supervision (we only packed a few small toys!).
Think that's it! We would recommend the Abama with some of the above caveats. I don't think we'd return there as there are other places we'd prefer to try first, but we certainly had a good week and the weather was an enormous bonus.
We thought the Tots Too service was very good - the rooms we had were great, and the pack of paperwork was handy (I took the whole lot with us so I had all the info we needed). And I felt you were very prompt at following up on all our queries and requests. Just fyi - the hotel did put a kettle in our room as I/you requested, but no bath mat (although we found we didn't need it in the end). And our room was directly above the kids club despite us saying we'd prefer not to be right next to it - I think maybe the family rooms are all near the kids club though?
Anon by request
28 February 2013
"We had an absolutely great holiday thanks. Our overall feedback is very positive indeed.
Things that were excellent: the hotel itself, standard of the rooms, the pools, beach, restaurants, breakfasts, having a golf buggy, friendliness, children's club etc. Even though it's a large hotel nothing ever felt crowded or overbearing.
Our only negative is in relation to the service. Universally the staff are incredibly nice and helpful, genuinely wonderful people that we really liked but with an amazing level of consistency they don't seem properly trained to actually be able to help you. The number of times we asked directions, asked for or ordered something and people didn't know the answers or nothing happened was staggering. Examples are too numerous to mention in full but include asking for a map being directed from reception to the front desk and back again, being given the wrong floor when asking for restaurant directions, having to ask for the bill three or four times before it arrived on several occasions, never despite our requests getting a hotel guide in the room, the person showing us the room when we arrived not knowing where things were, staff forgetting our drinks order in the bar etc. etc. If it happened once or twice you wouldn't think twice about it particularly as everyone is so nice but when it happens most times you interact with anyone then it struck us as clearly being an issue.
When making any level of critism it's human nature to focus on the negatives so please don't take this as detracting from what was an otherwise fantastic holiday and experience - just some hopefully constructive feedback that my wife and I discussed every day it was so apparent.
Hope this helps. Thanks again for all of your help which was first class."
20 February 2013
"First of all, we had a really lovely time, and I would definitely go back again. The Abama was great for kids, and that made us feel a lot more comfortable that we didn’t have to worry that we were disturbing others. The pool area was fantastic for kids – the main pool doesn’t have steps to enter it, it’s more like a beach (with no sand), so little ones can just wade in by themselves and hang out in the shallow area or go in a bit deeper if they want. I think that makes a really big difference, and means that we could relax on the sun loungers and watch them from the sidelines. Lunch and dinner had kids buffets, which made those meals really easy – we didn’t have to wait for their food to be cooked! And everywhere you go for lunch and dinner, they always give them colouring pencils and something to colour which is great. There is a show daily at 6pm (snakes, eagles, magic, etc.) which the kids absolutely loved and was really a highlight of the day. The kids club was good – our little girl is scared of kids clubs (unrelated to the Abama, she’s just got it in her head) – so our kids didn’t spend much time there. But I think it’s really important that they allowed parents to stay with the kids and use the facilities – very few kids clubs allow this in my experience. So if we didn’t want to be at the pool, or it was cloudy, then we had a great option to go do some colouring or something in the kids club. That was a real bonus.
Our suite was fantastic – top notch, and the deluxe room was ok. Both had the same bathroom, so the bathrooms in both were really nice. We never left the hotel – it’s a bit like a cruise ship; it has everything you need so why leave? So I think for people who like to explore, it’s not really for them. It worked for us because with 3 young children, we’re not in exploring mode. We went down to the beach a couple of times which the kids LOVED.
Now for the not so good. Our adjoining rooms were on the roadside, so all night long (past midnight) we could hear golfcarts going up and down the road and it was really loud. We were also above the recylcling, which for some reason went on for an hour every night. We had friends on the other side of the hotel (same room category, same floor), and it was quiet. So if I had my choice, I would not stay on the room 641/642 side of the hotel. The food was OK, not great. It didn’t really bother me, because when you have little kids, the food is rarely going to be great. But I think you may need to manage people’s expectations. One night our table had two pieces of chicken that were raw (really!!) but I think that was an anomaly. You DEFINITELY have to book you restaurants in advance – we only managed to get one reservation at the restaurant for our last night. I think this is just because at half term, they are fully booked up but don’t staff up the restaurants for that one week (which I can understand). So there are lots of empty tables, but you can’t get a reservation. Anyway, we ate lots of room service where the food was pretty good anyway. The La Veranda restaurant feels like a cafeteria – you can tell that’s where a lot of the ‘half board’ meals take place. The DVD player in our suite didn’t work, and they said they were going to fix it, but never did (it was a big deal b/c our kids wanted to watch a video on a cloudy day). I think these are all issues that happen when you have a five star very large resort, that is dealing with half term, and just can’t maintain high standards of service. Again, we were largely OK with it because you could tell it was a crazy week for them. And we would definitely go again."
17 February 2013
"Tenerife was amazing! And your help was incredible! We will definitely be recommending you to others. I will do the survey and give you rave reviews!!
Thanks for the extra help with our extension too!"
- Anon by request 06 February 2013 "We really enjoyed our stay at the Abama. The refurbished Kids Club was excellent with a wide range of activities for children, and the carers were very welcoming. The accommodation was spacious and spotless. My only complaint is that the restaurants in the hotel were very expensive – most main courses were well in excess of 20 Euros, even for a very simple pool-side lunch like a burger or salad, and a glass of Coca Cola was an eye-watering 5 Euros! Apart from that, we were very happy with The Abama and would consider returning."
22 January 2013
"The rooms were perfect - we were really happy to have the villas this time, has a very different feel to it with the gardens and swimming pool and would definitely go back. The service was great as always and really like the Abama!
The only thing I would mention was that kids do not eat for free. Everything we ordered in restaurants for our daughter Noa who is not yet 2, was payable at the kids price.
Obviously this doesn't make a massive difference but were just a little surprised as had been told otherwise.
In any case, I would certainly get back to you once we decided when we are going on our next holiday :-)
I have recommended you to a friend and am sure they will get in touch with you to book their holiday!"
13 January 2013
"The rooms were perfect - we were really happy to have the villas this time, has a very different feel to it with the gardens and swimming pool and would definitely go back. The service was great as always and really like the abama!
The only thing I would mention was that kids do not eat for free. Everything we ordered in restaurants for our daughter N who is not yet 2, was payable at the kids price.
Obviously this doesn't make a massive difference but were just a little surprised as had been told otherwise.
In any case, I would certainly get back to you once we decided when we are going on our next holiday :-)
I have recommended you to a friend and am sure they will get in touch with you to book their holiday!"
- SS 01 January 2013 "We had a great time at the Abama and will hopefully go there again next year for some winter sun. The first room they checked us into wasn't exactly a sea view as we were pretty much watching and hearing the cars go by...but when we told them we weren't happy they moved us the day later to a lovely room with fantastic views on each terrace. Their service is great and they are always pleased to help. The facilities work well with a small child and I enjoyed being spoilt at the spa! I was always a bit wary about resort holidays but this really worked well for us. Thank you for organising!"
09 November 2012
"I just wanted to email to say thank you for your recommendation of the Abama and for organising us an upgrade to an Ocean View Room.
We had a wonderful holiday at the Abama - which was very relaxing (even with a 3 year old!).
The hotel (as you had said) was gorgeous and our room was really fabulous - really big with the most amazing view across the ocean and to La Gomera! (so big thanks for getting us the upgrade).
I need not have worried about the service as in the main it was really good and we didn't struggle to eat out at all - alternating between the Veranda Buffet and Pampa Verona (which was fine for us with Harry). I think at times they were full and busy but because the hotel is laid out as it is it didn't appear to be over busy with people and we always got a bed by the pool or beach no problem.
So a big thanks again from all of us for your help and advice in organising what was a very memorable holiday - I'm sure we will be in touch again in the future re family holidays going forward."
18 August 2012
"We had a lovely time at Abama, it really is a wonderful place and we would return.
It was definitely worthwhile pre booking meals as I was aware of other families experiencing difficulties when the hotel was full. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, chambermaids, lifeguards, waiters etc... The transfers to and from the hotel worked well...just all good really! the kids club was undergoing renovation when we arrived but the kids were still accommodated
Thanks for the recommendation!"
06 May 2012
First of all I want to say what a great time we had at the Abama.
It was a terrific holiday and the unbroken sunshine was welcome!
I am sure we will return at some point in the future.
Thank you for your guidance....need to start thinking about 2013!
In the meantime I thought I would highlight some points to help future travellers.
I would say this was a little disappointing, especially when compared to other 5 star resorts (eg PineCliffs).
We expected there might have been more ‘active’ sessions for children (football/tennis/etc).
Essentially it was a couple of converted bedrooms with indoor recreation.
Being ‘low season’ isn’t really acceptable
It seemed quiet (though staff claimed it was nearly full) so never seemed crowded
Staff were brilliant – nothing was a problem (especially Guest Relations), kids made really welcome
Spotless, well maintained – no obvious signs of recessionary cut backs
Tennis courts are excellent (never managed to play golf but looked in good condition)
Gym relatively small but was never busy
The 2 interconnecting rooms were perfect for 2 adults + 3 children
Breakfast – must be one of the best
Book early to get your dinner choices (especially for the Mirador)
Relatively limited dining options for children
Be prepared for the prices
No need for car hire, taxis available and not massively priced (eg Euro 20 to Siam Park)
Siam Park is brilliant (expensive but worth it).
21 April 2012
"Here are a few headline thoughts on the Abama. We had a great time and it is a lovely hotel for young kids, especially outside of peak season. I think there is some scope for improvement there is a couple of areas that did not detract from a great holiday, but, at times, made it feel less good value for money.
Overall, it was a great trip and well organised by yourselves, with lots of helpful advice along the way.
· The suites are really big – we were in room 493, which was the size of a two-bedroom London flat! It had a large balcony all around two sides – one with a great view of the main swimming pool and one with a view out towards the sea (even though it was not supposed to be a ‘sea view’ room).
· The main pool is great for kids – lovely gentle slope, lots of toys to play with.
· Mid-March is a great time to go – very quiet in the resort. Of the people there, most had young kids, so our little one made plenty of friends.
· Service from bellboys and reception was excellent.
· The beach is very nice and calm.
· Overall, a great place for kids and a really welcoming attitude to them from all the staff, including at the restaurants (colouring in books / crayons provided at all sittings!).
To be aware of
· We had half-board, which was great as the cost of the restaurants in resort was high. People should not expect to spend anything less than 50 euros for lunch for two people and a little one (and that is being restrained!). This is fairly typical of 5* hotels, but people should be prepared for this (and we were alerted to this by you in any case).
Could do better
· In general, the service in restaurants could have been better. At lunchtime, they were generally very slow, i.e. once we had to wait 10 minutes to be given a menu when there were 4 waiting staff and only 6 tables in use! Time and again they were just that little bit slow in many areas.
· The food at breakfast was good, the food at the buffets in the evening / the other restaurants we dined at was a little below par (we did not eat at Kabuki or MB). It was certainly decent enough, but not quite what you would expect of a 5* hotel (and actually not as varied and tasty as Le Dune in Sardinia where we stayed last year).
· Babysitting – the hotel still advertises on its website that it offers babysitting, it doesn’t. It puts you in touch with companies in Tenerife that come and do it for them, but you sign a waiver form. As a hotel that positions itself as being really child friendly, this does not quite add up."
31 October 2011
"We had a great time at the Abama thank you for your help and advice with booking. I get the impression the hotel takes extra care of your clients!
The Abama is ideal for our needs right now. Not too long a flight, sunshine, european medical standards etc.
T (3) enjoyed the kids club very much, the carers were very good with him and the atmosphere was fun. Indeed the excursion to the beach in the buggy everyday was a thrill in it's own right.
The restaurant system was chaotic but we are old hands at the Abama and have more or less figured out that you need to reserve in advance and reconfirm everyday(and never go half board).
The only real criticism I have is that, whilst the transfer was great, the kids seats weren't. NJ (18months) appeared to be ok but if her seat was only attached by a cross strap ( ie no vertical/shoulder element to the safety belt) then it probably was dangerous.
T was simply in a booster with a safety belt around his waist only. It wouldn't pass any safety standards in our countries.
I have already recommended Tots Too to many friends and will of course continue to do so."
Anon by request
16 October 2011
"We had a lovely holiday thanks and everything that Tots Too organised was great and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend you.
On the whole we were impressed with the Abama. The hotel itself is lovely and the pool areas in particular are beautifully designed. The main 'walk-in' family pool is perfect for smaller children who can't swim. It was also lovely to have a bit of peace and quiet by the 'adult only pool' every now and then which is also beautiful and has a very indulgent spa-like atmosphere. The pool-side service was excellent with fresh towels and water delivered to loungers.
Accommodation wise it worked really well having two adjoining rooms - there was plenty of space for a family of five and the rooms are a very high standard with big comfortable beds.
The main criticism we have with the hotel is that it did feel like they were trying to make as much money as possible out of guests once you are there as you don't have any choice but to have all your food and drink there. For example, I would usually expect a five star hotel to provide tea and coffee making facilities in the room but they don't. If you want to have a cup of tea in your room it will cost 7.5 euros! We also thought it was a bit much that they would charge for water with meals (yet it is free by the pools). Lunches were very expensive - for a very ordinary ham and cheese sandwich they charge 14 euros, presumably because they can. It's a shame they don't offer a full board option so that the overall holiday can be better value for money for families.
The only other negative comment is that on the half board option you can only eat in the main buffet restaurant where you also have breakfast, so it gets very boring by the end of the week. They do offer a 30 euro credit per adult to dine around but the children don't eat free and 30 euros doesn't go far with their prices so it makes it much more expensive. If they could just offer a bit of variation to half board guests it would make a big difference - maybe another couple of restaurants where you can eat on the same deal or even just one or two nights where they host the buffet in a different place for a change of scene.
Having said all that, the kids club is excellent value for money as it is included and overall I would say the Abama is a great choice for a family holiday (just expect to pay around an extra £800 - £1k on lunches and drinks for a family of four).
I hope your clients find this helpful"
- JL 31 August 2011 "We stayed at Abama hotel with our two children 7 and 2 in August 2011. The hotel is amazing, we all had an awesome time and I recommend the hotel."
29 August 2011
"We all had a lovely time in Tenerife and were well looked after at the Abama, thank you. There were a few things I think you would find of benefit in terms of my feedback...here they are:
- your suggestion of the 8th floor (partial sea view) was spot on, it was a very quiet and an easily accessible location - so thanks for that!
- booking restaurants in advance is essential and we found that although you had forwarded our requests onto them and subsequently received confirmations - the bookings hadn't always been made or certain restaurants were closed on the day of our booking. The half board restaurants of la veranda and Los chozos weren't 5* in the food they offered - although the children were mostly happy.
- the kids club was well organised and varied in the activities it offered, and the girls running it were very friendly, helpful and approachable.
- the lack of children's pool and playground could be something they could try to remedy as O (our 18 month old) did at times have energy he needed to use safely and there wasn't anywhere for him to do this.
- the buggy service to and from the beach and mirador pool was on the whole acceptable, there were however times when the queues were long and waiting times lengthy - perhaps linked to the fact that the funicular wasn't working during our stay.
- we all agreed that mb and mirador were fantastic restaurants.
- the poolside attendants were very helpful and nothing was too much.
On the whole we all had an excellent holiday and would definitely consider returning there. Speaking of which, following the superb service you offered us leading up to the holiday we will be getting in touch with you soon regarding summer 2012!:)
As for recommendations, you were brilliant the whole way through, so patient, helpful, fun to chat to........you really know your stuff and I've already passed your name and details onto several friends as has M!"
- ML 27 August 2011 "We had a really fantastic time at the Abama! The interconnecting rooms were perfect - extremely spacious. The resort was beautiful and it was great having the pool and the beach. We were very impressed with the service. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and the choice of food was great. We had a really great holiday so thank you! We would definitely go back and would consider a villa next time."
24 August 2011
"Feedback on Abama:
- front desk: contrary to a lot of reviews on trip advisor, we found the front desk service impeccable. The service manager greeted me by name throughout the 2 weeks, and always seemed keen to check if all was ok. Five out of five stars
- staff in general: 5 stars (again, often a negative theme on trip advisor). They were at 96% occupancy during the first week, but it didn't show in their attitude, or approach. In particular, the room was always spotless each day, the evening manageress at veranda (black hair - can't remember her name though) always greeted me by name, and had already reserved a table for 10 for us each night (no mean feat and we didn't request it), and Brahim at veranda, and the main lunch lady at the bar at mirador: all were particularly great.
- restaurant bookings: this was the main thing that let them down. The pampa y Verona was no longer half board - instead the veranda and chozos now caters for half board. They obviously hadn't passed this on despite our advanced booking. The hotel staff were very accommodating and offered to keep a few pampa bookings at half board, but we clearly had to re book the others. Most of these re bookings they then managed to mess up. They were always very polite, but literally almost every re booked restaurant booking (and we did alter things a few times) was messed up in one way or another. Their booking system seems to be at fault here. They would book one, but not be able to cancel the another, or not book both families, or fail to make the booking etc. All seemed ok and sorted when we left guest relations, but we never knew what would happen when we got to the restaurant. When we found out the night we booked in Kabuki back in January was not going to happen, because Kabuki is always closed on Tuesday....it became a bit of a running joke! Restaurant booking system rating: 2 stars. Staff helpfulness to try and fix: 5 stars.
- Restaurants themselves:
*veranda buffet - at busy times you have to queue for so long for the main meat buffet. There is a key meat counter that just gets swamped - they need to have separate counters serving different options. Also, it has a very narrow range if food. Also, they need much more variety. After 2 weeks, you really can't face it again! With a bit of imagination, they could offer paella, chinese, thai, indian, pizza etc etc. rating: 3 stars
* chozos: only tried once, and it really didn't have a great choice of food for dinner, especially for kids. It was also closed 2 nights a week which made veranda even busier. Rating: 3 star.
* pampa y Verona: great food, service was v slow though. Staff polite, but just seemed so busy. Rating: 3-4 star
* mirador: great all round for lunch and dinner. Rating: 4-5 star
* kabuki: 4 star. But nothing that special compared to mb.
* MB: 5 star. Great experience. Michelin starred at less than London prices! Would go each night if budget allowed!
- room: fantastic. Bed was not v comfortable, but not so much that we asked them to change it. rating: 4 star
- transfers: great. 5 star.
- prices: again, a big negative theme on trip advisor, which I would disagree with. There are lots of kid lunches available at places like mirador pool, and there is nothing "hidden". Prices are in line with what you would expect for the rating of the hotel, and yet there is often choice above and below.
- tennis / golf / spa: great facilities, as you would expect
- pools: all good, but we preferred the mirador. It seemed a lot calmer than the main hotel one. Staff on hand always v helpful. "
14 August 2011
"We had a great holiday at the Abama. Here is a list of good and not so good! Overall we thought it was a great place but we felt it was let down by the standard of the food and room service ( which we used a lot due to our baby needing to eat early on).
-Transport pick ups were perfect - friendly, helpful, timely, perfect transport for us and our luggage.
-friendly and helpful staff throughout the resort
-clean resort with good amenities overall
-high standard accomodation - space was excellent and kept clean and tidy.
- staff very helpful to assist when we had to call a doctor out for our baby.
Not so good:
-overall the food standard was disappointing. Even our kids refused the chips and nuggets!
-room service standard was very hit and miss. Usually very late coming. Often delivered some of the order wrong. Often failed to bother to collect it after we asked them to so we had to leave it outside.
We had a great holiday and would definitely use you again. We are staying in the UK next year but will probably venture abroad the following year when our youngest is 3.
You offer a great service. What made it for us was your personal knowledge and detailed insight of all the resorts plus your honesty on what would work for us given what we wanted from a holiday.
Thank you and we will be in touch X !"
07 August 2011
"We had an excellent stay at Abama. Thank you very much for arranging this. The hotel and Tenerife provided a great family holiday for us. We were particularly impressed by the hotel staff who seemed very professional, and the service was remarkably personal despite the very large scale of the hotel. A thank you to you especially for suggesting a destination and hotel which gave us what we were looking for: that can't be easy when so many people must have different ideas of what they want from a holiday! And thank you for arranging so many details in advance so that we could relax and enjoy everything.
Should anyone else ask you about childcare, I'd be happy to thoroughly recommend Lisa Roberts (www.tenerifechildcare.com) as well as the babysitters arranged by the hotel. As Lisa was so good, we didn't use the Kids Club though it looked very popular.
Do use any of these comments on your website if they are of use, and, once again, thank you so much for all your help. I hope we can be in touch when we start to think about our next holiday!"
15 July 2011
"We had a fabulous holiday at the Abama!!
We all thought the food was fabulous, the interconnecting rooms were perfect for us and very spacious. Everything was laid out beautifully for our 3 children when we arrived late on that Friday night after a very smooth, comfortable transfer.
Our children joined the kids club for a couple of hours every day and also each night while we had dinner. This worked perfectly. The club was extremely flexible and we were able to dip in and out when we wanted.
The hotel looked after us extremely well and nothing was too much trouble.
We can't really fault our stay and would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.
Thank you for all your help in organising this for us. I have already recommended you personally to a friend of mine! I'm sure I will contact you again in the future for more holiday help."
10 July 2011
" I'm back from my holiday in Tenerife. We had a wonderful time at Hotel Resort Abama. Thank you for recommending it to us. I must say the photos online really don't do it justice but your own personal photos were amazing and did it justice.
Thanks so, so much Atarra, I’ve recommended you personally to all my friends and we will be back in touch with you soon enough to book something else."
- AN 06 July 2011 "I thought the service from yourselves was excellent, we are very happy. In addition the hotel was excellent. Service was above and beyond our expectations and the hotel was excellent. "
- EZ 17 May 2011 "We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Abama. And can't thank you enough for ensuring it all went so smoothly. From the moment we arrived at the airport we were warmly greeted and driven to the hotel. The reception staff couldn't have been more accommodating during check in, immediately offering refreshments while we waited (not long!) The villa and adjoining room were huge and top notch. The best thing about the resort, was that although it was huge, it was very easy to access all the amenities by buggy. And it also made for a very peaceful holiday as there was always somewhere to escape to! My only gripe would be the restaurant service. The main restaurant were very slow: the night we were eating Tapas, there was only one, very dedicated waiter serving the whole section- 30 -40 covers! We actually cancelled our 2nd booking at El Mirador. The food was lovely, but although there were about 6 waiters with only 2 tables to serve (6pm), the service was very slow. Golf restaurant likewise. The Kabuki and MB were excellent. Cannot fault the standard of cuisine, also for the kids. Will definitely look forward to planning our next holiday with you and have already reccommended you to others."
15 May 2011
"Overall we had a great holiday. On arrival in Tenerife the transfer was excellent - great car (stretch limo) and two appropriately sized child seats. The hotel in general was excellent. We stayed in a suite which was a fantastic size and perfect for the four of us. The pools were perfect for kids. The main pool is a good size and great for playing in and the infinity pool is a bit quieter but also good for kids. Although half-term and the hotel was busy we always found sun-beds around the pool and the service was good. The beach is a major plus for this hotel - it is a fun ride down to the beach in the buggies the hotel provides and then the lift. On the beach we always found sun-beds, towels and water. The sand is perfect for sand castles and the sea is closed off so a bit calmer and great for swimming in with kids.
As for food, the breakfast buffet was good with a wide selection of hot and cold breakfasts. The staff were always friendly and high chairs were always available and quick to appear. For lunch, we typically ate at the beach club which was excellent or at the restaurant by the main pool which was good. For dinner, the main family restaurant was good with a wide selection of dishes. Again although half-term we always had a table there and the service was very good. With respect to food, the main area for improvement is the room service menu which was ok but a bit limited. In summary the Abama hotel is a great hotel for families (we travelled with an 8mth old and 4yr old) and we would recommend it to our friends. We would also recommend Tots Too who organised the hotel booking, transfers and restaurant reservations - we couldn't have asked for a better service."
12 May 2011
"The holiday was fab and thanks for the card, cakes and wine. The children had an amazing time. The room was delightful, it was on the 10th floor, very tastefully decorated and huge! The resort was also quite quiet for May half term.
The only thing I would say about Club Abami (which the children loved) was that sometimes you had to sign them in and out and sometimes you didn't. Once when I didn't have to sign them in I queried it and they said that you didn't have to?!
We would definitely go again."
07 May 2011
"As you know we selected Tenerife and the Abama Hotel for our holiday almost entirely down to your recommendation, so I am pleased to let you know we had a great time!
The hotel and its setting are lovely, plus the rooms and food were excellent. With only a few exceptions the staff were extremely helpful and the service generally good. The children had a fabulous time, enjoyed all the facilities and made some friends which was lovely. We only used the kids Club for an hour or two on a couple of occasions but were happy with what we saw.
There were a couple of negative things that I thought worth pointing out to you.
The weekend we arrived there was a huge wedding at the hotel, with over 400 guests. This was a big disruption for the rest of the guests, as certain parts of the hotel were out of bounds, the main pool was closed for the entire Saturday! Not to mention the two nights of loud music and fireworks into the small hours! The staff were very apologetic about this, and we got the impression they did not want the wedding any more than the rest of us, but it was obviously worth a lot of money to the hotel.
The second point was the service and management at the main restaurant was disappointing. As you rightly suggested, we booked our tables each evening as we understood it would be busy at peak times. The problem seemed to be that few other guests did the same, so people would just turn up expecting a table, which mostly was accommodated. This resulted in too many people seated at the same time, and the poor waiters were run off their feet. The majority of the time we ate there we waited a long time for our food. I am sure this could easily be resolved with a few small changes, so hopefully this feedback will start the ball rolling!
Although I have mentioned these couple of negatives, whilst they were frustrating, they did not spoil our holiday or enjoyment of the hotel and we would certainly like to go back sometime in the future.
We were all delighted with the service provided by you and Tots Too, your thorough knowledge of the hotel and advice on all the little bits of detail before we went were very helpful. T & I met Rosie, the Sales & Marketing Manager, who also spoke very highly of you personally Atarra.
Many thanks again for all your help"
04 April 2011
"Once again Tots Too has been absolutely wonderful in organising our holiday. The Abama hotel is wonderful for children, the staff at the kids club were fabulous, the food delicious and adults only swimming pool bliss! Tots Too without a doubt do the best deals and I would highly recommend you to take all the stress out of planning a holiday. I look forward to trying out the other hotels recommended by Tots Too and look forward to our trip next year
I also really enjoyed the spa treatment and we got a babysitter and ate in the Japanese one night (actually we didn't rate it that much but I'm glad we tried it out).
Thanks to all at Tots Too and I always recommend you, I was even telling other Mums and Dads at the Abama to book through you."
23 March 2011
"We had a really lovely holiday.. Thoughts:
Large resort with plenty for all ages
Variety of restaurants
Beautifully kept resort and service generally from housekeeping/front desk etc all excellent
Great weather all year
Excellent spa and gym
* Areas for improvement
Restaurant service was sub-5star quality - breakfast was amazing quality food and fantastic variety but the room was like an airport cafe and the service for fresh made eggs/pancakes etc was very understaffed and I didn't find one person that enjoyed the experience - it felt like every restaurant needed an onsite manager with closer eye on details as solutions were only found to issues after complaints made rather than proactively.
Orientation takes a few days so if sending people there I would actually given them a map and an idea of things they should know before they go before ie main pool great for small kids but hectic so alternative mirador pool is also nice; restaurants all have kids menus and can be ordered in advance (ie order for kids 20mins before you want them to eat) meaning you can avoid the lower quality kids buffets
Seaview rooms also include rooms that overlook banana plantations over which you can see the sea in distance - felt this is a stretch of description and may be worth you suggesting specific rooms at hotel for your clients
Take kids snacks as although there is a good shop for armbandds and newspapers there is nowhere to get healthy snacks
Pools get busy at peak times so beds can be at a premium unless you want to be germanic and saving seats early!
Kids club best for younger kids, less for older kids and fairly understaffed at peak times
Transfers are a waste of money as taxi cheap and hotel only 20mins to airport
Hotel babysitters are expensive - we used Tenerife Nannies who I would highly recommend with UK CRB registered ladies who can do all day/evening babysitting at half hotel cost
I would absolutely recommend the hotel with the acknowledgment that the hotel does struggle under the weight of the peak numbers esp in restaurants but setting/overall standards excellent.
If any of that is helpful you are welcome to quote or even feedback direct to the hotel.
Ask & Book
Tell us what you're looking for and we'll reply with ideas and suggestions.
We protect your private data.
2nd room discount
30% discount on 2nd room for children
Valid in school holidays.
Valid during: 01 November 2014 - 02 January 2016
Excluded stay periods: 27 March 2015 - 11 April 2015
Room type:For all connecting and adjoining Deluxe Rooms in Citadel/Villas
Book by: 02 January 2016
Combinable with:Combinable with the Early booking offer
Receive 10% discount
Valid in school holidays.
Valid during: 19 April 2015 - 09 October 2015
Room type:Club room & suites
Book by: 31 May 2015